Taylor Swift is no doubt the queen of breakup songs. She has always managed to win the hearts of millions with her passionate tracks about love and heartbreak. In this article, we will all Taylor Swift breakup songs of all times whether it’s about her exes, missing someone, moving on, or Goodbye.
Taylor Swift Breakup Songs List
Album Taylor Swift (2006):
- Picture To Burn
- Cold As You
- Should’ve Said No
- A Perfectly Good Heart
Total songs: 14
Total breakup songs: 4
Album Fearless (2008) about her exes:
- Come In With The Rain
- The Other Side Of The Door
- White Horse
- Tell Me Why
- You’re Not Sorry
- Forever And Always
Total songs: 19
Total breakup songs: 7
Speak Now (2010):
- Back To December-
- Dear John
- The Story Of Us
- Better Than Revenge
- Last Kiss
- If This Was A Movie
Total songs: 17
Total breakup songs: 7
Album Red (2012):
- I Knew You Were Trouble
- All Too Well
- I Almost Do- I Almost Do,” is a song that describes the internal conflict that goes on when reminiscing about a romance. Taylor commented on the song saying—
“I Almost Do’” is a song I wrote about the conflict that you feel when you want to take someone back, and you want to give it another try, but you know you can’t. And you can’t because you know it’s hurt you so deeply that you know that you couldn’t bear to go through that again. So you’re sitting there and wondering where they are and hope that they think about you and that you’re almost picking up the phone call, but you just can’t. I think I needed to write this song in order to not call that person actually. I think that writing the song was what I did instead of picking up the phone.
- We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together- Taylor Swift refuses to continue an on-and-off relationship with her boyfriend and declares that “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”.
- Holy Ground- Holy Ground” is the 11th track on Taylor Swift’s 4th studio album, Red. It’s the first of two of her songs that Jeff Bhasker has produced. Bhasker also produced “The Lucky One.” When she started writing the song, she knew she wanted Bhasker to produce the track. Taylor contacted him and he agreed to produce the song. As a result, “Holy Ground” sounds different from any of Taylor’s previous work.
- Sad Beautiful Tragic- Taylor wrote this song on a ukulele on her tour bus after a show of the Speak Now Tour, reflecting on a relationship that was “sad, beautiful and tragic.” It is speculated that it is about Taylor Lautner, but there is some reason to believe it could possibly be about Jake Gyllenhaal.
- The Moment I Knew- The Moment I Knew” tells the true story of how Taylor’s then-boyfriend, Jake Gyllenhaal, didn’t show up to her birthday party. When he called her later to say sorry, Taylor says sorry too but for a completely different reason. The heartbreaking simplicity of the lyrics is reminiscent of her 2006 track “A Perfectly Good Heart.”
Total songs: 19
Total breakup songs: 8
Album1989 (2014) missing someone:
- Out Of The Woods- Out of the Woods” captures the anxiety and excitement of a past relationship that Taylor treasures the memories of. It was the second promo single released from 1989, and later became the sixth official single. It was co-written by Jack Antonoff of Fun. and Bleachers, who worked on many songs for the album, and later joined Taylor to create her 2017 album reputation. It is known that she was writing to track for this song, something she was not used to at the time.
- All You Had To Do Was Stay- “All You Had To Do Was Stay” discusses a crumbling relationship that falls apart due to a lover’s indecision. It’s part of Swift’s famous “track five” pattern — through the years, her fans have pointed out her tendency to make the most emotional song on the album the fifth track.
- I Wish You Would- This is a song about an ex-lover who she doesn’t exactly think she will never ever get back together with. Although their relationship is over, she has no bitter feelings towards him. A part of her wishes he would try to get back with her, as she would not decline. It also flirts with the idea of friends with benefits relationship.
- Wonderland- Wonderland” is a bonus track from the Deluxe Edition of 1989. It is a description of a toxic relationship, from beginning to end. It uses the story of Alice In Wonderland as inspiration for the highs and lows of enjoying this state of relationship wanderlust, irrespective of negative consequences.
Total songs: 16
Total breakup songs: 5
Album reputation (2017):
- Getaway Car- Taylor uses the image of criminals in a speeding car as the central metaphor for a doomed romance. She likens her rebound relationship with Tom Hiddleston to a “getaway car” ride used to get away from a crime scene, or her failed relationship with Calvin Harris.
- Dancing With Our Hands Tied- Dancing With Our Hands Tied” shows a different side of Taylor’s sound not present in much of her previous music. The song has house music vibes and heavy beat drops. In the last chorus of the song Taylor also hits notes in vocal ranges she has not hit in the history of her music career, the notes F5 and G5.